Happy Monday! Today I have a fun comparison post pairing two of the most popular beauty subscription programs against one another. Both Ipsy and Birchbox are monthly subscription programs that send you samples of beauty products for $10 per month. After doing some research on both programs, I discovered that there is really no consensus on which program is better overall. The only way I would find out which program was best for me was to try them both for myself. Let me show you what I got from both Ipsy and Birchbox for the month of March, and let you know which one wins Round One!
First I will show you my Ipsy Glam Bag! Each month you will get a cute cosmetics bag with all of your products inside. As you can see, March’s theme is The Great Escape! Whether you are traveling on spring break, or simply getting ready for the summer months, all of the products in this bag are perfect for warm weather. I also love the nautical print on the cosmetic bag! The pattern is just adorable, and the bag is rather good quality. It’s also made with a waterproof material so you can throw this in your beach bag without worrying about your products getting wet.
Now onto the products in my Ipsy Glam Bag! Each month you get five items, and they will typically be deluxe samples, with some full size products thrown in. Here is what I got for March. To purchase each product, click on it’s name. I will also list the retail price!
- GlamRX Mini Freestyle Palette – $16.50 – This palette is perfect for keeping your eyeshadows with you on the go! The magnetic base holds everything in place, and the palette is definitely great quality. This can easily fit in your purse, and will carry enough eyeshadows for at least one or two looks. I don’t wear a lot of eyeshadow, so this is not great for my life, but it is a good product for the average person.
- Juice Beauty Hydrating Mist – $3.26 – This mist is designed to refresh your skin after being out in the sun, or otherwise feeling dry. A spritz will leave you feeling great! Unfortunately for me, rose oil is a main ingredient, and the floral smell bothered my allergies. I would love to use this product, but I can’t. I’m really bummed out about this one!
- La Fresh Makeup Remover Wipes – $1.99 – This packet of eight makeup remover wipes is perfect for traveling and sticking in your purse for everyday use! I use wipes like these every day, and I have been searching for the perfect brand. I can’t wait to give these a try, and I will definitely use the entire pack!
- Yaby Eyeshadows – $3.15 each – I got these eyeshadows in the shades Azalea Petal and Seashell. They are super tiny and perfect for travel! I gave these a try, and while they are not super pigmented, they are perfect for a natural, beachy look. I appreciate that they are complimentary colors that can be worn together. As you can see, I’ve put them in my GlamRX palette already!
TOTAL RETAIL VALUE: $28.05
OVERALL OPINION: I think this month’s Ipsy is great for the average person, but the products don’t fit my lifestyle especially well. I cannot use the Juice Beauty mist, and I don’t wear too much eyeshadow. I’m very excited for the La Fresh wipes, however! Plus, I think putting all these items together in a themed cosmetic bag is a great idea!
RATING (1-5, 1 BEING WORST & 5 BEING BEST): 3
Next up is my March Birchbox! With this program you will also get around five samples for $10. I love the box it comes in! Not only are these perfect for mailing, but they are great for organizing, too. The hot pink tissue paper is a fabulous touch. This month’s theme is March Madness, but my products seem to be a mix of all different things.
Before I talk about each product, I want to take a moment to mention that Birchbox has a great reward program that earns you points for every purchase made on their website. You earn one point for every dollar spent, plus, you get 10 points for each item in your box that you review on the Birchbox website! For every 100 points, you get $10 to spend on the Birchbox website. By buying this box and reviewing each product, I already have 60 points! I love that they reward their members for being active. Okay, now it’s time for the product breakdown!
- Juice Beauty Skin Cellular Repair CC Cream – $3.90 – I couldn’t believe I got another Juice Beauty product in my Birchbox! Luckily, this CC cream is something I can use. I’ve been wanting to try a BB cream, and this is a step better than that! I’ve already used this sample twice, and I am just blown away. I am so glad I got this sample!
- Serge Normant Meta Revive Dry Shampoo – $11.11 – I was also super excited to get a dry shampoo sample, and a good size one at that! I have fine hair that gets oily if I sleep on it even once. I’ve been wanting to try a dry shampoo, but I didn’t want to spend the money if I wasn’t going to like it. I have to tell you, this Serge Normant one is amazing! My hair looks great after I spray this on, and it even smells good. I might purchase the full size when the sample runs out!
- Whish Shave Cream – $2.93 – This shave cream is in the Birchbox Exclusive scent of blueberry, and smells amazing in the tube but is quite overwhelming in the shower! I don’t typically use shave cream, but I will definitely give this one a try. After one use, my legs did feel more moisturized than usual, but the smell definitely did me in.
- Juicy Couture, Couture La La – $1.32 – I know many people are disappointed when receiving perfume samples in subscriptions like these because you can get them free at stores like Sephora. I personally use perfume samples all the time, and love trying new scents! Because this is the smallest sample in my box this month, I don’t mind getting one perfume sample. I will definitely use the whole thing up!
- Madewell for Birchbox Emery Board – $5 – As a nail polish aficionado, I don’t think you can go wrong with an emery board! I love the cute, floral pattern, and I will definitely use this! Although a $5 retail value is a bit much, it is still a great product to get in the Birchbox
TOTAL RETAIL VALUE: $24.26
OVERALL OPINION: I am loving my first Birchbox! The sample sizes were decent overall, and I got a few items that I have been wanting to try for a long time. I plan on using each and every item in this box! My only woe is that I don’t enjoy the scent of the Whish Shave Cream.
There you have it! My winner for the month of March is Birchbox! While Ipsy did have a slightly higher retail value, the products in my Birchbox are all things I will use. At this time, I will continue on with both programs until one is the clear standout for me. At just $10 each, I don’t think I can go wrong with either at this point! You can join Ipsy HERE and Birchbox HERE.
Before I close out this post, I have a favor to ask of you! Please vote for me in a contest I entered on Facebook! Rita Hazan is searching for your favorite beauty blog. To vote, simply click HERE and hit the “Like” button! Your support is always appreciated!