Happy Wednesday! Now that we are headed into the holiday season, I thought it was the perfect time to put together a DIY Travel Nail Kit! Whether you need a touch up on a weekend getaway, or some manicure options during a longer trip, I’ve got you (and your nails!) covered. I never used to travel with nail polish until college. During my winter break I was away from my nail polish collection for a few weeks, so I wanted to make sure I had a few options on hand. Let me show you everything I pack with me to keep my manicure in shape!
First things first, I highly recommend dedicating a small makeup bag to your nail kit. That way if things go wrong and your nail polish bottles break or spill, nothing else will get ruined. That being said, I always keep a spare piece of bubble wrap in my nail kit so I can keep everything secure. Don’t forget that if you are flying, you’ll need to put your nail polish in your checked luggage, or abide by the 3-1-1 rule (more on that HERE).
As for the items inside my kit, I make sure to have at least five things with me, four of which are pictured above for you:
- Sally Hansen Double Duty – This is a base coat and a top coat in one! I’ve used it for years, and while it’s not my favorite top coat option, it’s a great one both for the price and the convenience. I often use it at home as a base coat, and it’s the logical choice for travel. Find it at your local drugstore, or online HERE.
- Neutral or Pink Nail Polish – When traveling, it is best to find a nail polish that will work for any occasion and any outfit. I recommend a neutral shade, such as a beige or tan, or my go to polish color – pink! I love Sally Hansen Insta-Dri in Peachy Breeze because it can work for a professional event, but is also fun for your beach vacation. Plus, a fast-dry formula is perfect for on the go.
- Glitter Top Coat – Your manicure options will double with a glitter top coat! Keep one on hand for a night out, holiday party, or simply a change of pace. This can layer right over your other nail polish so you don’t need to worry about remover or touch ups. I grabbed Milani Color Statement in Club Lights, but choose any glitter you love for your kit!
- Mini Emery Boards – I always keep an emery board in my purse, and I, of course, keep at least two in my travel nail kit. You never know when your nails will break, especially with the drying atmosphere of an airplane! I’ve used some of the tiny emery boards before, and those just don’t cut it. I received these black ones for review, and am in love! They are the perfect size at 3.5 inches long – they fit easily in my makeup bag, but are still big enough to hold easily. Plus, you can get a 50 pack for just $10 on Amazon HERE. I highly recommend grabbing a pack to keep you stocked up. They even make a great stocking stuffer!
- Nail Polish Remover Pads – I don’t have any on hand to show you, but nail polish remover pads are perfect for travel! Who wants to carry a bottle of nail polish remover?! I’ve had great luck with the butterLONDON Scrubbers, which I think is worth splurging on for special occasions. I usually wait to take off my nail polish once I’m back at home, but these are a great option for those of you who want to switch it up on the road!
All in all, taking care of your nails while traveling can be super easy and non-stressful with a DIY Travel Nail Kit! This kit makes the perfect holiday gift for your friends and family, but don’t forget to create one for yourself! You can also feel free to add in hand cream for some added moisture during the winter months. It all depends on your personal needs! I hope this post brought you some inspiration, and I’m wishing you safe travels!
What’s in your Travel Nail Kit? Let me know in the comments!
Some of the products in this post were provided for my unbiased review. This post contains affiliate links. All opinions are my own. See my Disclosure Policy for more information.